You have finally made it through the process and are now officially single again. While you may have passed through the worst of it, remember that there are still several items to attend to once your divorce has been finalized.
- Follow the Order: You will need to comply with the terms of your final divorce decree. You have hopefully read through it, alone and with your family law attorney, and understand what steps you will need to take to transfer titles and divide property. Keep your court documents in a safe place for your reference.
- Contact Collaterals: Let your insurance companies, your bank accounts and other institutions know about your newly divorced status. Double check that if your name should have been removed from an account per your divorce decree, it has been.
- Update your Will: It is important to create a new will after divorce so that your assets are going where you have planned. Remember to update beneficiaries on any life insurance or bank accounts.
- Change your name: If you plan to change your name as part of the divorce, don't sit on it. Contact the Social Security Office and change your driver's license and passports.
- Review your credit: Now is the time to start in building, or checking on the health of your credit. You can review your credit score for free online. If you do not have a credit card or bank account in your name alone, now is the time to open one.
- Create a new budget: Review your financial plan and work on your new budget. Aim to create a savings account that you can rely on in case of financial setback. If you can afford to, research financial planners and find new counsel to work with you as an individual.
Having an experienced divorce lawyer can make all the difference to your process. Because we focus solely on family law, we understand the dynamics and can help guide you through your divorce. Please contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a free consultation regarding your divorce. For more information about collaborative divorce or mediation please visit our website.