One of the best things you can do for your marriage is to see a counselor. In fact, if you can see one before you get married that's even better. Many couples don't see a marriage counselor until problems are well-entrenched and a lot of hurt has built up. Learning what problems may be sneaking up in your relationship and working on them together will make a stronger marriage down the road.
From Huffington Post, Here's a sampling of the things that marriage counselors see as warning signs:
- Signs of selfishness and immaturity
- A lack of trust between the couple
- More interest in the wedding rather than the marriage
- Calling each other names or belittling their feelings
- Ugly fighting, or no fighting at all
- Small conflicts cause major upheaval
- Fixed roles in the relationship
- Seeing marriage as a cure for current relationship problems
If you notice any of these signs in your relationship, it's time to speak with a marriage counselor. We provide communication coaching for couples. We also have a recommended reading list for couples that want to stay together but are experiencing difficulties. If you need help with your relationship, or you feel like it's time to discuss other options, contact Elise Buie Family Law Group, PLLC for a free consultation.